LifeSci NYC will provide access to diverse talent, helping source students for summer internships to provide you with extra support during the summer from youth with fresh learnings and new ideas. It will also give you an early look at the next generation of talent and a pipeline for your future talent needs.
In addition, the program will provide hosts with networking opportunities with leaders in New York City’s life sciences industry and with city government leaders and facilitate businesses engaging with life sciences academics at universities throughout New York City to allow discussions about future talent needs and necessary skills development.
Finally, it will provide branding and marketing opportunities as a participant in a high-profile initiative with presence on the LifeSci NYC website, at events, and in other marketing and PR materials.
All internships will be paid, with the hosts serving as employer of record of the students. Unfunded startups and small businesses and non-profits will be eligible to receive subsidy funds from New York City to offset student salaries for $15 / hour for up to 40 hours / week for 10 weeks (max total $6,000).
Student Selection and Placement: When you register to host interns there will be an online form to help you define a specific role or project for your interns. Program staff will contact you to make sure we understand your needs, and to provide you with applications from students who have the appropriate skills for your needs.
- Internships will take place June–August 2018. All internships will be full-time 10 week paid positions.
- Open to students currently enrolled in a New York City-based college or university or New York City residents currently enrolled in any college or university. While all students are welcome to apply and will be considered, preference will be given to rising juniors, seniors, and graduate students.
- Host companies can be located anywhere in New York State within commuting distance of New York City.
- Companies signed up to host for summer 2018 to-date include BioHealthWays, Celmatix, Chimeron Bio, Deerfield, Envisagenics, Fesarius Therapeutics, Kinnos, Lucerna, Mirimus, NewYorkBIO, Pfizer, The New York Stem Cell Foundation and Roche.
- Interns will be invited to participate in a dynamic range of events including networking receptions, industry career panels, site tours, and will have opportunities to meet industry leaders and more.
- R&D: Conduct research on coagulation, polymer chemistry, rheology, biochemistry, and material science.
- R&D: Perform research on functional annotation of the human genome with respect to fertility potential.
- Bioinformatics: Analyze single cell RNA-sequencing data and summarize key findings.
- Data Science: Learn and develop a Common Workflow Language (CWL) that utilizes Docker technology for NextGenerationSequencing (NGS) analysis for gene fusion detection.
- Neuroscience: Identify potential advisors and data for an ongoing development program. Collect information for future clinical studies, and identify biomarker(s) used in research initiatives.
- Medical Device Design: Conduct research on custom applicator design, packaging design and testing, and assay development.
- Regulatory Affairs: Compile regulatory intelligence, maintain and track product marketing materials and labeling, and help compile an international regulatory market assessment.
- Quality Assurance: Help maintain central document control system, implement OSHA requirements, participate in inspections and report any non-conformances.
- Quality Control (Microbiology/Chemistry): Assist in verifying conformance to in-process specifications and proposing and implementing in-QC assays.
- Manufacturing: Assist with supply chain logistics, optimization of processes / process flows, creation and revision of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and batch records, and equipment installation and qualification.
- Market Research: Perform market research, develop marketplace analysis, provide strategic assessment, use market research data to support existing and new marketing sales strategies.