Prospective host companies now being accepted for Summer 2020. Please contact [email protected] for more information
The Summer 2019 Student Application is now closed. To be notified of upcoming career panels, job openings for full- and part-time jobs, spring and fall internships, launch of our Summer 2020 application, and other relevant information, please sign up for the LifeSci NYC Internship Program Meetup.
The growth of New York City’s life sciences industry depends on attracting and retaining a steady stream of qualified talent to start companies and fill essential roles, especially as New York City’s $500 million investment is projected to create 16,000 high-paying jobs in the industry. Thus, the City has a vested interest in preparing a diverse range of New York City students for careers in the life sciences sector.
The program provides quality internships for undergraduate and graduate students, while offering curriculum and training support with refined “hard” skills in the sciences and “soft” skills of professional and personal development.
- Assemble a cohort of participating interns that reflects the diversity of New York City university students with a special focus on students from disadvantaged communities and economic backgrounds
- Work with New York City life sciences industry partners to develop relevant and attractive experiences in New York City’s industry, including frameworks, resources, and structured activities to expand, diversify, and cultivate emerging talent pool
- Position New York City’s life sciences industry as a valued partner to the university community to identify student career development needs, share resources and information to support field work/career experiences, inform short- and long-term program outcomes, and disseminate program learnings to make internships scalable and sustainable
- Attract and prepare a diverse range of New York City students for careers in the life sciences sector to ensure that the sector has a wealth of talent to fill the industry demand for good quality jobs.
- September 2019 - Application opened for students and hosts
- Now - May 2020 - Rolling selection and placement of students with hosts
- May 26 - May 28, 2020 - Pre-internship training "Boot Camp" intensive training for placed interns
- June 1 – August 7, 2020 - Internship period
The LifeSci NYC internship program will evaluate students based on the following criteria:
- Interest in career in life sciences (in a science and/or business context), as demonstrated through personal statement, reference letter, resume, academic transcript, and optional video (40 points)
- Personal and professional maturity and integrity, as demonstrated through academic performance, personal statement, references, extracurricular activities, optional video, prior professional experience (40 points)
- Technical skills in their field of specialty (20 points)
Application / Placement Process
- Student and host applicants will each sign an agreement affirming their responsibilities to the LifeSci program, and to each other, should they be selected to participate
- After students apply for the program, they will be scored based on the evaluation criteria (see above)
- Students who complete applications will receive access to a list of positions for which we are currently seeking candidates
- Students may submit cover statements for available positions that interest them
- LifeSci NYC will select the most qualified students applying for each position for submission to companies
- Hosts will choose students to interview
- Hosts will select their top choice student(s) as interns and will formally hire
- Note: Students who apply for the program are NOT guaranteed placements. Hiring decisions will be made by each host company. applying earlier will increase your chances of finding an internship.